Network of Callan Services for Persons with Disabilities
Statement of Purpose
We, the Network of Callan Services for Persons with Disabilities, inspired by the life of Jesus and the work of Edmund Rice, express the liberating heart of God so that persons with disabilities in Papua New Guinea (PNG) participate and contribute meaningfully in an inclusive society.
As part of the Edmund Rice Network in the Oceania Province, and in partnership with Catholic Dioceses, other Churches, government, international and PNG based non-government organisations and local communities we:
- Provide special education and community based rehabilitation services to help children access inclusive and effective education
- Work with children and families to develop their full potential
- Provide quality community based rehabilitation services to persons with disability for improved health and functioning to participate in local communities
- Provide and facilitate the development of higher level skills in education, health and support services personnel
- Create new policies, positions and services to promote an inclusive society
- Enable appropriate responses by research emerging needs related to those at risk in society, especially persons with disabilities
- Provide sustainable, quality services with effective leadership, governance, and monitoring and evaluation.
Those at risk in society are inclusive of, but not limited to people with disability. The Values that shape how we work are:
Treat with dignity, ourselves, family, colleague, work ethics, those we serve, community, partners, property and environment.
Free and enliven communities groaning with inequalities and exclusiveness
Attuned to God in the mystery of life and work
Responding to our communities with an open heart and hand
The Network consists of 19 Special Education Resource Centres, Callan Studies National Institute and Callan Services National Unit.